Cycle the length of Ireland with CARED. Malin Head to Mizen Head (or ‘MizMal’) is an end-to-end biketour of Ireland. Think of it as the Irish equivalent of Britain’s Land’s End to John O’Groats, but with rugged coastline, Irish music, unique landscapes andlively pubs. Ireland’s end-to-end really is something special. In April/May 2016, CARED will be completing the MizMal cycle to raise funds needed to continue providing the support and educational courses for carers, and you can join us! We are delighted to be working with our partner Wild Atlantic Cycling (www.wildatlanticcycling.com) on this exciting new challenge.
CARED Cycle Fundraising Leaflet 2016
The route is completed on your own bike and is approximately 525 miles/845 km. CARED will transport you to Mizen Head from Belfast. The route takes you along the Mizen Penninsula to Bantry Bay and through the Cork and Kerry mountains. We continue to Killarney and the shores of Muckross Lake and then north across the Shannon Estuary on the ferry. We visit the Cliffs of Moher and cycle through the unique limestone plateau of the Burren. On into County Galway, where there is a choice to take a more direct northerly route beside Lough Mask and through Tourmakeady, or by heading west to Cliffden and then north-east to Westport. The Cliffden way takes us deeper into the Connemara National Park area and through some stunning scenery including Killary Harbour- one of three glacial fjards in Ireland.
Next is Galway City with its fantastically fun vibe and enticing old pubs and Irish traditional music. We continue to the pretty town of Donegal before tackling the Inishowen Peninsula with its remote moorlands and vast sea loughs. The finish is at Malin Head – the most northerly point of Ireland.
Then it’s a convenient and relaxing transfer back to Belfast.
Itinerary (average 85 miles per day)
Pick up day:
Depart Belfast. Location to be announced.
Your bike will be transported securely on a bike trailer along with your baggage. You will travel in a minibus.
Arrive in Mizen for an evening meal and briefing
Relax and drinks in the bar (or sleep!)
- Day 1 Mizen Head to Killarney
- Day 2 Killarney to Ennis
- Day 3 Ennis to Galway
- Day 4 Galway to Westport
- Day 5 Westport to Donegal
- Day 6 Donegal to Malin Head
Transport back to Belfast as soon as we are packed and ready
CARED are delighted to be able to offer the MizMal supported cycle for just £350 (subject to each cyclist fundraising a minimum of £750). This is on the basis of shared accommodation. There is a single supplement of £180 if you wish to have your own room.
- Transport from Belfast to the start point for you and your bike
- Transport to Belfast from the finish point for you and your bike
- Accommodation in Irish B&Bs
- Luggage transfer – we move your bags and bits literally from one room to the next
- Breakfast – Irish breakfasts are renowned for keeping you peddling all day!
- Vehicle support – we will be on hand to help in whatever way we can – just a phone call away
- Mechanical support – if we can’t fix your bike at the roadside we will take you to where it can be repaired. We can provide you with a temporary emergency replacement cycle if required
- Spare parts – we carry a selection of common spares in the vehicle which are available to you at cost price
- Route information – route cards, GPX file for upload to your navigation device / Garmin (not essential, but many find it useful)
- A foam roller will be available to borrow for post ride muscle work
You will sleep and eat breakfast in local Bed and Breakfast accommodation in shared or single rooms. There is a supplement for a single room and the number of singles is limited and subject to availability.
Now you have all the information, why not join us and help support CARED? We would love to have you. If you’re thinking of an adventure and you love cycling, this is the trip for you and we will personally do everything we can to make it a successful and memorable experience. For more information simply contact us.